Blogger Backgrounds

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The "Happy" Shake

So,we are on day 28- 2more days until I have been doing the green smoothies for a WHOLE MONTH, I really can not believe that I have stuck with this that long. It just does show that you can do anything if you really want to,
Shelley posted a recipe for this "Happy Shake" on our group page and it looked interesting but I really didn't really want to go and buy all these ingredients if I didn't really like it.
Welcome in one of my FAVORITE people in the WORLD- Tracy Wilson. Tracy made the shake and said it was pretty good and offered to let me try out some of her ingredients :) So off we went to Tracy's house (ha! my kids really wanted to just stay there forever) and this morning I made myself a "Happy Shake". All the instructions are from the recipe but I will put my wonderful commentary throughout :)
Spinach, Water, Coconut Oil, Navitas Maca Powder, Navitas Cacao Powder, Banana (not pictured) Frozen Jersey Blueberries
The Base: 3-4 cups fresh spinach and it said to start with 1/2 cup of water and add more and yes I added more- probably like 3/4 cup of water for the 4 cups of spinach I added
A Good Fat: 1 TBS Coconut Oil...ok this one was a little hard for me because it is solid!! Most oils that I have had the pleasure of cooking with are liquid so the fact that it was solid did freak me out a bit.
Navitas Maca Powder- 1 TBS- for stamina, endurance, mental clarity, and peak sexual performance for men ( taken directly from the recipe- i kid you not!!!)
Navitas Cacao Powder- 1 TBS- now this is like 100% cacao-( not Hershey's here) it is bitter if you are used to milk chocolate

there is disclaimer in the recipe here that you are blend into a sludgelike consistency. I did this BUT failed to take a picture- then and only then are you to add the fruit
I added half a banana and 3/4 frozen blueberries
and then I smelled it- ummmm really didn't smell to good and i took a tentative sip and it was bitter (remember not Hershey's) and so I added a nice little splash of Agave Nectar to sweeten it up a bit and it did do the trick (love the agave!!)
If you are expecting a dairy queen chocolate shake you will be disappointed greatly BUT if you are looking for a green smoothie to help with your chocolate obsession then I think that this does do the trick and it is healthy alternative for you.
Thank you Tracy for sharing your ingredients with me... I will be trying this one out again. Although I think you should be drinking the smoothies for a bit before trying to add this one in. I am off to make Dave a little less potent green smoothie for when he gets home from work.
I love that this is now in my morning routine (really -I do!)
One healthy and chocolatey choice made today...

1 comment: